We have heard answers to questions like this for years…
- Long life, beautiful skin, gorgeous complexion, healthy hair…
- Wise investments, living good in retirement, affording this or that…
- Getting a good job, finding a good spouse, having good kids…
You understand, right? It often seems others live the “good life” and we who are not quite there struggle with how to attain what others have done. Surely there’s a secret handshake, connection or path that leads to all of life’s best achievements.
While true there are some situations it’s all in “who you know” or “where you come from” that allows you to live with a silver spoon, there are many times it is simply how the breaks of life came and you were ready to participate.
For those who are constantly looking for that silver bullet or golden pathway, the search is constantly looking for, and often never find, “the secret”…
Follow this person. Buy that car. Live this way. Have those friends. Drink this. Eat that. Take these pills. Invest this way. No that way. Join this investment. Sell that investment. Join this MLM. No switch this way. Go that way…
We understand, often too late, that some things happen as a result of choices made in our younger life. Whether it be how we make wiser choices in friends, health or investments, there are definitely habits that keep you headed down better paths than others around you.
Benjamin Franklin was a man full of quotes and idioms that pointed out things he had learned from observation, and from doing. For example:
- Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
- When in doubt, don’t.
- Lost time is never found.
- Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.
- It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it.
- We are all born ignorant, but must work hard to remain stupid.
- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
- Energy and persistence conquers all things.
- Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.
Goodness! These are just a few. Surely from these wise sayings someone could glean out the necessary pathways in life to have great rewards!
Here’s one key… Who you have in your life often influences you the most!
“Select your friendships carefully. Gather people around you who will reinforce your lifestyle.” ~Dan Buettner
I’ve learned a personal lesson. There are people in my life that are not the influencers I need! It’s not that we weed them out of existence like so many unwanted growths in our yard, rather, we need to learn who occupies our investment of time and brain, and then control how much influence they have in our life.
I’ve thought and posted about this the past few days.
- Those in our lives are often the ones who #influence us the most. Be cautious, often they are simply a #whirlpool pulling you their way.
- Someone once thought they could #influence me to follow their path. But I saw the #whirlpool just below the surface. #TYJ
- It’s amazing how we let celebrities be a focus in our world. We are “touched” by their involvements in whatever finds their fancy… #Bored
Here’s a key…and perhaps this is your secret. Find what works for you and simply do it! Your life will definitely change over time, just like the world around us is always changing. If your principle is to do a certain thing, and do it well, then along the way only slight corrections will be needed to keep your path secure.
I chose to live my life by principles and teachings found in God’s word. They are my core, and they guide my steps. You have to dig them out. There is no laundry list of things to do to be successful. But within His word I find principles that define my world.
For those blessed by Him shall inherit the earth, But those cursed by Him shall be cut off. The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand. I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread. (Psalms 37:22-25 NKJV)
You see. This is where we often fail the test. We think it’s all about us! No! It’s all about God!
“You may have weaknesses, but God has strength. You may have sin, but God has grace. You may fail, but God remains faithful!” ~Peter Guirguis
You will be tested in how you remain true to your principles. Those trials may come at the most inopportune time, but where is your strength? What is your resolve? What will be the ending testimony of your test?
“You can’t have a testimony without a test.” ~Gordon Mallory