Is Monday Depressing? Not if it has a purpose!
It’s the Monday before Christmas. December 19th. There’s only one Monday left in 2016. The first Monday in 2017 will be the second day of the year. And Blue Monday officially exists as the Third Monday of the New Year – January 16, 2017.
Some folks struggle with our first work day of the week. Monday. While there can be excitement because of the NFL, many see Monday as the worst day of the week. Reason? Work day after two days off. It’s difficult to get motivated.
Through the years I have worked weird shifts that included working the weekends and starting my “weekend” on a Monday. Some shifts were days, and others were nights. Sometimes it’s an 8 hour work day, other times a 12 hour work day. During most of this time I was in school, freshly married, and a new father.
Monday was simply a day to be enjoyed, regardless of the circumstances! Monday is simply another day of the week, so let’s handle it like another day! It’s Monday… Go make it a good day!
On this day in History, December 19th…
- 1154 – Henry II became King of England. (This was an amazing time period…scary from our present day.)
- 1562 – The Battle of Dreux was fought between the Huguenots and the Catholics, beginning the French Wars of Religion.
- 1732 – Benjamin Franklin began publishing “Poor Richard’s Almanac.”
- 1776 – Thomas Paine published his first “American Crisis” essay.
- 1777 – General George Washington led his army of about 11,000 men to Valley Forge, PA, to camp for the winter.
- 1842 – Hawaii’s independence was recognized by the U.S.
- 1843 – Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” was first published in England.
- 1871 – Corrugated paper was patented by Albert L. Jones.
- 1918 – Robert Ripley began his “Believe It or Not” column in “The New York Globe”.
- 1941 – Hitler takes command of the German Army
- 1959 – Walter Williams died in Houston, TX, at the age of 117. He was said to be the last surviving veteran of the U.S. Civil War. (This was just 4 years after I was born and just weeks till my fifth birthday!)
- 1972 – Apollo 17 splashed down in the Pacific, ending the Apollo program of manned lunar landings.
- 1985 – ABC Sports announced that it was severing ties with Howard Cosell and released ‘The Mouth’ from all TV commitments. Cosell continued on ABC Radio for another five years.
- 1989 – U.S. troops invaded Panama to overthrow the regime of General Noriega.
- 1998 – U.S. President Bill Clinton was impeached on two charges of perjury and obstruction of justice by the U.S. House of Representatives.
- 2008 – U.S. President George W. Bush signed a $17.4 billion rescue package of loans for ailing auto makers General Motors and Chrysler.
In my Facebook world….
- 2015 – “Ever noticed that people who demand others be tolerant quite often suffer from a deficit of the same? Pot, meet Kettle.” ~Rev Ken Gurley
- 2015 – “On Christmas Eve, “for a couple of hours out of the whole year we are the people that we always hoped we would be.”” ~Scrooged via Mark Foreman
- 2015 – A life lived selfishly is so different than the one lived selflessly.
- 2015 – From a valued friend: “I could never pastor. I’m too thinned skin.”
- 2015 – I have felt onslaught of arrows by those I thought of as friends. The deepest wounds come from those you allow close when you are vulnerable
- 2015 – “Oh, About 30 Years Ago“
- 2014 – “Be Still“
- 2014 – “God is always doing 10,000 things in your life, and you may be aware of three of them.” ~John Piper
- 2013 – “A Nagging Thought“
- 2013 – “If you’re not a little bit scared, your goals aren’t big enough.” ~Bruce Van Horn
- 2011 – Such an enjoyable time with the Church family at our annual Christmas Banquet. Thank you all for being involved! Blessings!
Now, for a favored 12/19 scripture or two…
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. (Romans 12:19 NKJV)
The truthful lip shall be established forever, But a lying tongue is but for a moment. (Proverbs 12:19 NKJV)