And family has gone for the day…
We are back to just the two of us as it will be for the rest of our lives. Totally enjoying our time together. Memories are stored for the future, photos are fondly enjoyed, and laughter is shared as conversations are relived.
For example, as the favored aunt was leaving, the niece spoke wistfully, “I hate the two of you are leaving.” The aunt hugged the niece and whispered, “I hope Santa brings you what you are wanting!” To which a sweet little 5 year old voice responded, “Family is more important than a scooter.”
The one thing I have learned over the years…Family is more important than any gift…
The other thing we have learned is to not expect anything in return. The simple enjoyment of hanging out with family is enough. Playing games. Eating. Reliving the past, often with differently shaded lenses. Hoping for the future. Just thoroughly enjoying one another…
We enjoyed our day…how about history of December 24th through the years?
- 1814 – Treaty of Ghent signed, ending US Britain War of 1812
- 1818 – Christmas carol “Silent Night” composed by Franz Xaver Gruber is first sung at St Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf, Austria
- 1905 – Howard Hughes was born
- 1906 – Reginald A. Fessenden became the first person to broadcast a music program over radio, from Brant Rock, MA.
- 1936 – 1st radioactive isotope medicine administered in Berkeley, California
- 1943 – US President FDR appoints General Eisenhower Supreme Commander of the Allied forces
- 1968 – Three astronauts, James A. Lovell, William Anders and Frank Borman, reached the moon. They orbited the moon 10 times before coming back to Earth. Seven months later man first landed on the moon.
In my Facebook history…
- 2015 – “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.” ~Anonymous Taking care of those close to you is just as important to caring for complete strangers. You cannot ignore one at the expense of another.
- 2015 – “At the end, people will judge you anyway. So don’t live your life impressing others. Live your life impressing yourself.” ~Anonymous. If you live your life for something bigger than yourself then self is immaterial-you have something greater than self in mind.
- 2015 – Some struggle with making life a success. Constantly they need a “hand”. I wonder what was missing in their childhood to make them needy.
- 2014 – “Earliest Christmas Memory“
A favored scripture…
- The hand of the diligent will rule, But the lazy man will be put to forced labor. (Proverbs 12:24, NKJV)
- Jesus answered and said to them, “Are you not therefore mistaken, because you do not know the Scriptures nor the power of God? (Mark 12:24)