On this day in History, December 28th…
The day after Christmas, December 26th, we lost Carrie Fisher, age 60, and then on Wednesday, December 28th we lost her mom, Debbie Reynolds. Both had great impact on the world of entertainment and each will be missed for various performances of their past and present. What could have been will never be known…
- 1065 – Westminster Abbey in London consecrated
- 1732 – “The Pennsylvania Gazette,” owned by Benjamin Franklin, ran an ad for the first issue of “Poor Richard’s Almanack.”
- 1832 – John C. Calhoun became the first vice president of the United States to resign, stepping down over differences with President Jackson.
- 1856 – Woodrow Wilson born
- 1860 – Harriet Tubman arrives in Auburn New York, on her last mission to free slaves, having evaded capture for 8 years on the Underground Railroad
- 1895 – First commercial movie screened in Paris
- 1917 – Two days after U.S. President Woodrow Wilson announced the nationalization of railroads the United States Railroad Administration (USRA) seized control. In March of 1920 the railroads became private property again.
- 1941 – U.S. Rear Admiral Ben Moreell requested authority from the Bureau of Navigation to create a contingent of construction units. The units, later known as the “Seabees,” would be able to build everything from airfields to roads under battlefield conditions.
- 1983 – Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys drowned while swimming near his boat in the harbor at Marina del Ray, CA.
- 1945 – The U.S. Congress officially recognized the “Pledge of Allegiance.”
- 2000 – U.S. District Court Judge Matsch held a hearing to ensure that confessed Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh understood that he was dropping his appeals. McVeigh said that he wanted an execution date, set but wanted to reserve the right to seek presidential clemency.
For a little of my Facebook History… (Something must have been tickling my brain in 2015!)
- 2015 – When it comes time to let your voice be heard, you have no right to critique those choices you refused to take the time to vote on.
- 2015 – “The most dangerous thing you can do in life is succeed at the wrong thing.” ~Jeff Goins, Writer I so want to be successful and I know I’m headed in the right direction!
- 2015 – Fear of change keeps most of us huddled behind archaic ways of thinking and doing. Could you name one way that you are living in the past?
- 2015 – “There is power in unity. If we work together and don’t care who gets the credit then God will get the glory.” ~Steve Ares But we want credit more than we want His glory. We see this over and over again in each of our own personalities, our actions and words speak this over and over again.
- 2015 – “Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 2015 – Who you are today speaks loudly thru your actions, but those wishful thoughts of what might have been are dreams that can still come true.
- 2015 – “5…4…3…2…1… New Year“
- 2013 – What if…. What if everything we did, everything we lived, everything we thought…. Was presented to others as a “brand” of a product we wished to sell. What is the condition of your brand?
- 2013 – “The Last Post for 2013“
- 2013 – “Bringing down the walls of Jericho involved more walking than shouting. A Sunday shout is great, but can’t replace a daily walk.” ~Joel Urshan
And a 12/28 scripture…
In the way of righteousness is life, And in its pathway there is no death. (Proverbs 12:28 NKJV)
Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. (Hebrews 12:28 NKJV)