It’s Thursday, December 29…
And the year is about over. Too many times we simply think of the holy trinity of days – yesterday, today and tomorrow. Agonizing about yesterday mistakes, and worrying about tomorrow’s challenges, we simply exist through the hours that are today. Present tense. You’re here. Today. So enjoy!
On this day throughout the centuries…
- 1170 – St. Thomas à Becket, the 40th archbishop of Canterbury, was murdered in his own cathedral by four knights acting on Henry II’s orders.
- 1812 – The USS Constitution won a battle with the British ship HMS Java about 30 miles off the coast of Brazil. Before Commodore William Bainbridge ordered the sinking of the Java he had her wheel removed to replace the one the Constitution had lost during the battle.
- 1845 – U.S. President James Polk and signed legislation making Texas the 28th state of the United States.
- 1848 – U.S. President James Polk turned on the first gas light at the White House.
- 1851 – The first American Young Men’s Christian Association was organized, in Boston, MA. – The YMCA is nothing like it was originally organized!
- 1890 – The U.S. Seventh Cavalry massacred over 400 men, women and children at Wounded Knee Creek, SD. This was the last major conflict between Indians and U.S. troops.
- 1940 – During World War II, Germany began dropping incendiary bombs on London.
- 1997 – Hong Kong began killing 1.25 million chickens, the entire population, for fear of the spread of ‘bird flu.’
- 1998 – Khmer Rouge leaders apologized for the 1970s genocide in Cambodia that claimed 1 million lives.
- 1999 – The Nasdaq composite index closed at 4,041.46. It was the first close above 4,000. (Isn’t it scary that today the number is hoovering around 20,000…?)
Facebook history for me?
- 2015 – Your kids will be a reflection of how you behave. Show them by your example instead of just telling them. Be a leader to your kids or someone else will. @DaveRamseyLIVE
- 2015 – I chuckle when I get dropped or blocked by someone on social media. They have just shown their true colors. And I am not surprised.
- 2015 – “Daily Needs“
- 2014 – “Code Alert“
- 2013 – “How do you spell ‘love’?” – Piglet “You don’t spell it…you feel it.” ~Pooh via ~A.A. Milne
Nearing the end of a daily coordinated scripture reference…
And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: (Mark 12:29 KJV)
For our God is a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12:29 NKJV)